WWII Submarine Poster



Sea Robin left Pearl Harbor on 1 June en-route Guam in the company of USS Threadfin. They met up with USS Spikefish and were escorted into Guam on 13 June. After a 3 - day repair period alongside USS Holland, Sea Robin and Threadfin departed, with Sea Robin heading for her operating area in the Nanpo Shoto and Yellow Sea areas.

Prior to entering the Yellow Sea, Sea Robin was assigned to lifeguard duties. On 1 July Sea Robin was able to locate and rescue Second Lieutenant William Edward King, USAAF, of Iwo Jima Fighter Group.

Earlier in her lifeguard patrol area, Sea Robin narrowly missed disaster when a full load of bombs from a passing B-29s fell through a heavy overcast. It was never determined whether this was caused by poor bombing or by careless jettisoning. In any event, the bombs fell 1000 yards away.

On the evening of 8 July Sea Robin sighted and tracked a large patrol craft. She attacked by firing one torpedo from #9 tube. The torpedo hit was followed by another explosion that is believed to be have been caused by the detonation of an internal mine. The target sank six minutes later.

On the morning of 9 July Sea Robin sighted a large DE at a range of 6000 yards. Poor visibility and sound conditions prevented earlier contact. Because of this, Sea Robin was forced to watch the target’s angle on the bow increase to 140 degrees without getting off a shot. During the same morning Sea Robin made SJ Radar contact with a target whose range was 8700 yards. Sea Robin commenced a surface attack but quickly lost sight of the target because of the prevailing poor visibility. When contact was again made, the range had closed to 5000 yards. The target appeared at this point to be a small CV, but later was identified as an AK. Four torpedoes were fired from the bow tubes at a range of 875 yards. All four torpedoes struck the target in a spectacular explosion, which lit the sky for miles. The target disintegrated and sank. Later in the morning at 0525 a TOKAI aircraft was spotted diving out of the clouds. Sea Robin quickly submerged and a few minutes later two bombs exploded, one close aboard. Although it was not discovered until the end of the patrol, the submarine's bow tubes were severely damaged and would be the cause for numerous torpedo misses for the remainder of this patrol.

Sea Robin attacked and sunk two seatrucks on the night of 21 July and early morning of 22 July. Using her 5 inch 25 cal deck guns at a range of 5000 yards. A third seatruck was pursued by Sea Robin but was able to escape by maneuvering close to the beach.

Six Korean POWs which Sea Robin had rescued on earlier attacks were set off in a rubber boat, with food, water, blankets and flares from a point 5 miles north of Saishu City in accordance with orders from ComSubPac

Sea Robin arrived at Saipan on 31 July and moored alongside USS Orion to refuel. On 1 August Sea Robin departed Saipan en-route Midway. On 2 August Sea Robin received an emergency radio call from an American Mustang pilot indicating that he was low on fuel, shot up, had no life boat, and was lost. The plane was not able to get on the proper DF frequency for emergency steering because of equipment difficulties. Sea Robin stood by and relayed radio traffic from Saipan as escort planes were dispatched. Eventually the crippled aircraft was located and taken under escort. The aircraft were all approaching Saipan and had the field in sight when Sea Robin signed off.

Sea Robin performed lifeguard duty on 6 August during an air raid conducted against Wake Island. She again expended some of her 5 - inch ammunition as she shelled the eastern end of the island. Sea Robin arrived at Midway on 10 August, 1945.

The Submarine Combat Insignia was authorized for this patrol and Sea Robin was credited with the following damage inflicted on the enemy:

1 – Patrol Craft 500 tons

1 – AP 4000 tons

1 – MIS (UMA MARU) 500 tons

1 – MIS (KOSHI MARU) 500 tons

1 – MIS (Lugger) 60 tons

1 – MIS (Lugger) 50 tons